Work with Chromatic Theatre!
Now Hiring: Technical Director & Assistant Sound Designer
- Organization Chromatic Theatre
- Job Title: Technical Director & Assistant Sound Designer
- Compensation: $1,400 contract
- Hours: Contract, part time, flexible.
- Start Date: Onboarding in March 2021
- Must be available April 18 – May 1, 2021
This is a dual role within Calgary’s independent theatre community, for a filmed remount of 我的名是张欣恩 (Gimme Chance Leh) by Kris Vanessa Teo.
We are looking for an individual interested in a Technical Director position who would also be comfortable filing the role of Assistant Sound Designer (with mentorship from the Sound Designer). A successful candidate will be brought on in March of 2021 for preliminary planning, with the production dates occurring between April 18th and May 1st, 2021. All details will be adjusted according to up-to-date public health recommendations.
We strongly encourage applications from candidates who identify as Indigenous, Black, racialized, LGBTQA2S+, and/or Disabled. We also encourage folx with varying experience to apply, recognizing this as a learning opportunity to develop one’s sound design skills and build more experience as a technical director.
Technical Director – Job Description / Duties
- Managing budgets for all scenic areas in consultation with Production Manager
- Attend production meetings, design meetings, discussions with theatre venue contact, and other meetings deemed fit for attendance
- Oversees the set-up and strike of all technical elements while maintaining technical and artistic integrity of the production
- Coordinate transportation of materials and rentals (set, props, costumes, etc) with Production Manager for show needs
- Alongside Production Manager, maintain a strict health and code of conduct for all members of production
- Coordinate the needs of the production team alongside the videographer in executing a filmed version of production
Experience / Skills / Assets
- A background in technical theatre. Comfortable working or learning in a variety of technical departments (lights, sound, video, set, costumes)
- Organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Is sensitive to the needs of production and the artists involved
- Strategic and proactive in approaching challenges and problems alongside a team
- A valid driver’s license and vehicle will be an asset
Assistant Sound Designer – Job Description / Duties
- Would work closely with the Sound Designer in assisting in the execution of technical and artistic elements for show
- Develop a sound plot from Sound Designers needs
- Arrange and price out sound rental needs (speakers, microphones, etc)
- Be present for rehearsals, sound installation, calibration, and setting of sound level in tech rehearsals
Experience / Skills / Assets
- A basic understanding of speaker plots, signal flow and microphones
- Experience in sound creation, editing, sourcing and implementation an asset
- A working understanding of QLab 3 and a Digital Audio Workstation software (Protools, Logic, Audition e.g)) is strongly encouraged
- Collaboratively oriented
- Likes listening to sounds and other languages
- Fluency or familiarity with Mandarin or other Chinese dialect is an asset but not required
Applications must include:
- A one-page (maximum) letter of interest, describing what you are looking for from this opportunity, and why you’d like to work with Chromatic Theatre.
- An up-to-date CV
Deadline: February 10, 2021
Please send applications to Jordan Baylon, General Director: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are currently seeking volunteers for our Board of Directors!
Chromatic Theatre is growing it’s Board of Directors. We are seeking energized, passionate supporters of the arts to join our dedicated team.
- Our organization is the only theatre company dedicated to producing and developing work by and for ethnoculturally diverse people in Calgary. Not only do we develop and produce full productions, but we spend a great deal of time community building for diverse artists.
Here are some of the qualities we are seeking (though we do not expect any single person to embody all of these skillsets):
- People with experience in marketing/communications, the not-for-profit sector, or the financial sector.
- The desire to help a great organization grow strategically
- Previous governance experience (though first-timers are welcome, too!)
- The drive and ability to help grow an organization’s financial independence. We are positioned to grow and welcome creativity and entrepreneurial ideas!
- Experience in strategic planning
Board members are elected for two-year terms, and executive members are elected annually. We meet approximately 6 times per year. We are looking for Board members who are excited about work in culturally diverse communities, who enjoy working as part of a team, and can commit to approximately 25 hours per year.
If you are interested, please contact email@example.com.