CHROMATIC THEATRE’S PLAYWRIGHTS UNIT
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
Chromatic Theatre is looking for writers/ creators who identify as being part of Indigenous and Black communities, as well as communities of colour, from Mohkins’tsis (Calgary) and surrounding areas for our fourth annual Playwrights Unit.
At Chromatic Theatre we are dedicated to developing and supporting work by and for the wide breadth of cultural diversity that exists in our province. We are excited for the third iteration of our Playwrights Unit that will bring together IBPOC playwrights/creators from Mohkins’tsis (Calgary) and surrounding areas, with the aim of strengthening our community and investing in new Canadian plays.
We are looking for racialized playwrights/ creators of all levels of experience.
As a part of the Chromatic Theatre Playwrights Unit, you will:
- Attend one digital group meet and greet in October 2022
- Attend a total of eight group workshops between November 2022 – May 2023
- Receive up to five one-on-one dramaturgical sessions with Artistic Director, Kodie Rollan
- Receive a workshop of your script with an ensemble of actors between May 29th – June 11, 2023
- Receive a public, online reading of your script, performed by an ensemble of professional actors, culminating on the weekend of June 10th – 11th, 2023. Artistic Directors from the Calgary community will be invited to this showcase.
- Build community with other racialized writers
- Attend monthly cohort meetings
- Receive a one-on-one meeting with an artistic mentor of your choice
- Receive an honorarium of $1000.
Applications must include:
- A statement of interest, up to one-page in length, describing why you would like to participate, and the project you would like to work on as part of the unit.
- Your CV
- A writing sample that is a maximum of 20 pages. If you are new to playwriting, a writing sample from other mediums (essays, short stories, poetry, etc.) is acceptable
Deadline: September 16, 2022
Please email applications to email@example.com.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact our Artistic Director, Kodie Rollan, at firstname.lastname@example.org