CHROMATIC THEATRE’S IBPOC PLAYWRIGHTS UNIT
Now entering our third year of the program, Chromatic Theatre is looking for IBPOC writers for our second annual Playwrights Unit.
At Chromatic Theatre we are dedicated to developing and supporting stories by and for the wide breadth of cultural diversity that exists in our province. We are excited for the third iteration of our Playwrights Unit which will bring together IBPOC playwrights from Moh’kins’tsis, with the goals of developing diverse local new work, and strengthening the voices in our community.
We are looking for IBPOC playwrights of all levels of experience.
As a part of the Chromatic Theatre Playwrights Unit, you will:
- Attend one digital group meet and greet in November 2021
- Attend a total of six group workshops between December – May 2022
- Receive up to five one-on-one dramaturgical sessions with our Artistic Associate and Unit Dramaturg, Kodie Rollan
- Receive a workshop of your script with an ensemble of actors in June 2022
- Build community with other IBPOC writers
- Attend optional monthly cohort meetings
- Receive a one-on-one meeting with an artistic mentor of your choice
- Receive a public, online reading of your script, performed by an ensemble of professional actors. Artistic Directors from the Calgary community will be invited to this showcase.
- Receive an honorarium of $1000.
Applications must include:
- A one-page statement of interest outlining your interest in the Playwrights Unit, the status of your project (is it a brand new project? Has it received previous development?), what you’re trying to achieve with the story, and your developmental goals for the coming year.
- Your CV
- A writing sample that is a maximum of 20 pages. If you are new to playwriting, a writing sample from other mediums (essays, short stories, poetry, etc.) is acceptable.
- Pages should be numbered with your title and name included at the top of each page.
Applications will be assessed on the following criteria:
- Alignment with Chromatic Theatre’s mandate. (Found here: https://chromatictheatre.ca/about/mandate/)
- Clarity of application
- Your listed artistic outcomes and our ability to help you meet them through the unit
- Geographical location (our objective is to hold the showcase in-person this year, and as such are focusing on Calgary-based artists)
Deadline: October 18, 2021
Please send applications to Kristen Padayas, Associate Producer: